Home NewsNetanyahu Links US-Israeli Strikes to Potential Iranian Regime Change and Regional Peace Prospects

Netanyahu Links US-Israeli Strikes to Potential Iranian Regime Change and Regional Peace Prospects

by Mark Ellison


Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a Fox News interview on Monday night, March 2, 2026, that the current U.S.-Israeli strikes present an opening for Iranian regime change, restating comments he has made previously. He also echoed U.S. assurances that the campaign would be brief, calling it “a quick and decisive action.”

The remarks place Israel’s leader on a different rhetorical track from U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who has said Washington is not seeking regime change in Iran. The split underscores a live debate over objectives even as officials describe limited military aims and a short timeline.

Netanyahu links ongoing strikes to political change in Iran

In the interview, Netanyahu argued that the military action could catalyze a domestic shift inside Iran. He said the strikes are “going to create the conditions, first for the Iranian people to get control of their destiny, to form their own democratically elected government, which will make Iran a different Iran altogether.”

Netanyahu framed potential political change in Tehran as a pathway to broader Arab-Israeli agreements. “I think that will open up the way for many peace treaties with other Arab countries, with Muslim countries,” he said, casting the current operation as part of a longer arc of regional diplomacy rather than a stand‑alone military response.

He singled out Saudi Arabia, describing benefits he believed would follow if Iran’s current rulers were no longer in power. “Saudi Arabia will have a lot to gain. All these countries around Iran are threatened by Iran. They want to see this regime go down, even if they don’t publicly say that. they’ve just been targeted by Iran. So obviously, if Iran is removed, that’s a great boon to Saudi Arabia, a great boon to these other countries. And I think peace between Israel and Saudi Arabia would be really possible, and probably very close, once this thing happens.”

Netanyahu’s comments effectively link the air campaign to a broader vision of reshaping Iran’s political system and expanding Israel’s normalization track with key Arab states, even as other officials emphasize narrower, security‑focused goals.

U.S. statements emphasize limited aims and a short campaign

Netanyahu opened the interview by referring to recent U.S. administration announcements that the operation would not stretch on indefinitely. “You’re not gonna have an endless war here. The terror regime is at the weakest point since it took Iran from the brave Iranian people 47 years ago. This is going to be a quick and decisive action.”

Those assurances contrast with his broader political framing. As Netanyahu described possibilities for change inside Iran, Hegseth has stated that the United States is targeting Iran’s military capabilities and is not pursuing regime change, aligning the mission with stated U.S. policy that military force is being used to degrade threats rather than to directly overturn a foreign government.

That distinction matters for Washington’s legal and diplomatic positioning. Under the United Nations Charter, states are expected to resolve disputes peacefully and refrain from the use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, a baseline that U.S. officials regularly invoke when they argue that current strikes are limited and defensive in character.

What each side is publicly saying

– Israel’s prime minister: the strikes can “create the conditions” for Iranians to “form their own democratically elected government,” and could open the door to additional Arab-Israeli peace agreements, including with Saudi Arabia.
– U.S. administration messaging: the campaign will be short; Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has said the objective is not regime change and that targets are focused on Iran’s military and security infrastructure.
– Shared point: public references to a limited duration for the current operation and an effort to avoid an open‑ended regional war.

“You’re not gonna have an endless war here. The terror regime is at the weakest point since it took Iran from the brave Iranian people 47 years ago. This is going to be a quick and decisive action.”

Context for the 47-year reference

Netanyahu’s timeline reference tracks to the 1979 revolution in Iran, which replaced the monarchy with the current Islamic Republic. His comments position today’s confrontation alongside that historical marker while presenting the present campaign as shorter and more defined in scope.

By invoking nearly five decades of rule by Iran’s clerical leadership, Netanyahu is also signaling to Western and regional audiences that he views the current moment as unusually fragile for Tehran’s governing system, and that external military pressure and internal dissent could intersect.

Regional stakes and diplomatic implications

Netanyahu tied prospective change in Tehran to normalization prospects with Arab and Muslim-majority states, citing Saudi Arabia by name. Talks around Israeli normalization with regional countries have been a recurring diplomatic theme in recent years, and Netanyahu’s comments place those discussions within the frame of current military developments.

Any shift in Iran’s leadership or regional posture would reverberate through existing U.S. defense arrangements, including security understandings with Gulf partners and ongoing debates in Washington over authorizations for the use of military force. It would also test how far Arab governments are willing to advance public ties with Israel while managing domestic opinion about both the strikes and the prospect of explicit regime change in a major regional state.

As of March 3, 2026, officials continue to describe the operation publicly as limited in duration, while Netanyahu links the strikes to conditions he says could enable political change inside Iran.

You may also like

Leave a Comment