Home WorldIsraeli Settlers Kill 19-Year-Old Palestinian American in West Bank Amid Rising Violence and UN Ethnic Cleansing Concerns

Israeli Settlers Kill 19-Year-Old Palestinian American in West Bank Amid Rising Violence and UN Ethnic Cleansing Concerns

by Claire Donovan

MUKHMAS, West Bank — Israeli settlers shot and killed 19-year-old Palestinian American Nasrallah Abu Siyam during an incursion into this village northeast of Jerusalem late Wednesday, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry and witnesses. Residents said settlers assaulted a local farmer, drawing villagers into clashes; Israeli forces arrived soon after. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) acknowledged using what it called “riot dispersal methods” after reports of rock-throwing but denied that soldiers fired during the confrontation. Abu Siyam later died of his wounds, and several others were injured. (apnews.com)

The killing — the first attributed to settlers in the West Bank this year, local officials said — instantly reverberated beyond this hilltop community. It came as the United Nations human rights office warned that Israeli measures in the occupied West Bank are altering the territory’s demographic composition and “raise concerns over ethnic cleansing,” and as press-freedom monitors detailed abuse of Palestinian journalists in detention. Together, the developments underscore a volatile West Bank where settler violence is surging, military operations have intensified, and accountability remains rare. (apnews.com)

‘They were encouraged and started shooting’

Raed Abu Ali, a resident who witnessed the attack, said armed settlers escalated their fire once troops appeared. “When the settlers saw the army, they were encouraged and started shooting live bullets,” he said, adding that the assailants “clubbed those injured with sticks after they had fallen to the ground.” The IDF said it later evacuated wounded Palestinians for medical care but provided no information about any suspects detained or questioned in connection with the shooting. (wbaa.org)

“When the settlers saw the army, they were encouraged and started shooting live bullets.”

Abu Siyam’s funeral took place Thursday in Mukhmas, where most of the surrounding land falls under Israel’s civil and military administration established by the Oslo framework — a jurisdictional reality that limits Palestinian policing powers, constrains village planning, and facilitates regular settler access to farmland and roads. Following the accords, only a small portion of village land is Area B; the vast majority is Area C, under full Israeli control, where Palestinians generally require Israeli permits to build homes, expand infrastructure, or erect protective structures — permits that are rarely granted, according to rights groups. (en.wikipedia.org)

A U.S. Embassy spokesperson said they “condemn this violence.” The victim’s mother told reporters her son held U.S. citizenship, making him the second Palestinian American killed by settlers in less than a year. Under U.S. law and practice, American missions typically seek accountability, press for a transparent investigation, and ensure consular access for affected families; Washington has historically urged Israeli authorities to curb settler attacks, though the intensity of pressure and follow-through on consequences has fluctuated with changes in administrations. (apnews.com)

Escalation tracked by U.N. monitors

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) recorded a sharp rise in settler incidents across the West Bank in 2025, averaging about five per day and affecting hundreds of communities. By early December, at least 227 Palestinians had been killed by Israeli forces or settlers in the territory that year; U.N. tallies later cited 240 Palestinians and 17 Israelis killed in 2025. Mukhmas and surrounding Ramallah-area villages have been frequent flashpoints, with local officials reporting repeated harassment of farmers, road closures, and night-time incursions. (ochaopt.org)

Israeli outposts — small, often newly established enclaves built without formal authorization — have proliferated near Palestinian towns. While all settlements in occupied territory are considered illegal under international law, these outposts are also illegal under Israeli law unless retroactively approved by the government. Rights groups and Israeli media have documented waves of new outposts and periodic moves by authorities to legalize some of them, entrenching fragmented control on the ground and complicating any future separation between Israeli and Palestinian jurisdictions. (en.wikipedia.org)

Legal and diplomatic stakes

Most governments view settlements as a “flagrant violation” of international law, a position anchored in U.N. Security Council Resolution 2334 and in the Fourth Geneva Convention’s prohibition on transferring an occupier’s civilians into territory it occupies, as codified in Article 49 of the Geneva Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War. Israel disputes this interpretation regarding state-authorized settlements, arguing they rest on historical and security claims, but it recognizes that unauthorized “outposts” lack legal status under its own law unless explicitly approved.

U.S. policy toward settler violence has swung across administrations. In 2024, the United States sanctioned extremist settlers and entities under Executive Order 14115; those measures were rescinded on January 24, 2025, after a new executive order revoked the program and delisted sanctioned individuals and groups, including organizations linked to violent outposts. Banking guidance flagging West Bank–related risks was also withdrawn, signaling a shift away from financial pressure tools that had been designed to deter attacks on Palestinian civilians. (content.govdelivery.com)

U.N. rights office: Annexation drive and mass displacement

On Thursday, the U.N. human rights office (OHCHR) said Israeli actions from November 2024 to October 2025 amounted to a “concerted and accelerating effort to consolidate annexation,” citing widespread arbitrary detention, destruction of property, and military operations that “employed means and methods designed for warfare” in the West Bank. The report warned that displacement patterns and demographic engineering “raise concerns over ethnic cleansing” in both Gaza and the West Bank. “Impunity is not abstract — it kills,” U.N. rights chief Volker Türk said, urging credible investigations and prosecutions. Israel’s mission in Geneva has dismissed the office’s findings as biased and politically motivated. (ungeneva.org)

Press freedom watchdog documents abuse of Palestinian journalists

A new Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) investigation found pervasive abuse against Palestinian reporters detained by Israeli authorities during the Gaza war, including beatings, forced stress positions, sensory deprivation, sexual violence, and medical neglect. CPJ documented at least 94 Palestinian journalists and one media worker detained during the period examined; 30 remained in custody as of February 17, 2026, and more than 80% of those interviewed were never charged, many held under renewable administrative detention orders. Israeli agencies have rejected previous allegations of systematic abuse, asserting compliance with law, judicial oversight, and security imperatives. (cpj.org)

Gaza’s destruction shapes the West Bank’s future

Even as frontlines shifted, the war’s footprint continues to shape Palestinian life. The U.N. Development Programme said this week that, at the current pace, removing Gaza’s debris will take seven years; only about 0.5% has been cleared so far, with 90% of residents living amid rubble. Alexander De Croo, the former Belgian prime minister who now leads UNDP, urged Israel to facilitate access for heavy equipment and materials to accelerate clearance and temporary housing. Officials and analysts say the scale of Gaza’s destruction, and the obstacles to rebuilding, are likely to deepen economic dependence on Israel and fuel further displacement pressures that spill into the West Bank. (palestine.un.org)

Impunity concerns

Israeli authorities seldom secure convictions in cases of settler violence, according to long-running datasets by Israeli rights group Yesh Din. Between 2005 and 2024, roughly 94% of police investigations into ideologically motivated offenses by Israeli civilians against Palestinians in the West Bank ended without indictment; only about 3% led to convictions. The group says cases frequently collapse because police fail to collect basic evidence, delay taking witness statements, or close files for “offender unknown” despite victims naming suspects. International actors, including the European Union and several governments, have repeatedly urged Israel to ensure accountability for crimes by settlers and security forces alike, warning that persistent impunity undermines both the rule of law and prospects for any political settlement. (yesh-din.org)

  • Where it happened: Mukhmas lies northeast of Jerusalem; most of its land is classified as Area C, under Israeli civil and military control and largely off-limits to Palestinian construction or independent policing. (en.wikipedia.org)
  • What the IDF says: Troops used “riot dispersal methods” after reports of rock-throwing and deny that soldiers fired live rounds, saying they later helped evacuate the wounded. (wbaa.org)
  • Why it matters: The killing of a U.S. citizen by settlers amplifies diplomatic pressure amid U.N. warnings that West Bank practices may constitute serious violations of international humanitarian law and raise ethnic cleansing concerns. (ungeneva.org)

As of Friday, February 20, 2026, the Israeli military said “unnamed suspects” had shot at Palestinians near Mukhmas and confirmed that the wounded were evacuated; it did not announce any arrests or charges. The U.S. Embassy repeated that it “condemn[s] this violence” and said it was in contact with the family as it monitors the Israeli investigation. (apnews.com)

You may also like

Leave a Comment