Home NewsMan Found Burnt to Death Inside Electrical Distribution Box in Soshanguve

Man Found Burnt to Death Inside Electrical Distribution Box in Soshanguve

by Mark Ellison

TSHWANE – A man suspected of tampering with electrical infrastructure was found burnt to death inside a distribution box in Soshanguve on Monday, 25 May 2026.

The deceased was discovered at approximately 12 p.m. in Block L, where technicians from the City of Tshwane were investigating a local power failure.

The incident highlights the extreme risks associated with unauthorized access to high-voltage equipment and the potential for illegal connections to cause fatal accidents during utility outages. It also underscores the legal requirement that only authorised personnel may work on live or potentially live installations under South Africa’s Occupational Health and Safety Act electrical installation regulations, which govern how municipalities operate and secure their electricity networks.

Juma Saidi says they suspect the victim was tampering with the electricity box. Photo by Raymond Morare

Discovery at Minisub 1656L

The body was located inside a street mini substation, identified as Minisub 1656L. The discovery was made after the City of Tshwane Electricity department, Block KK Depot, received reports of a power failure affecting Block L and dispatched a team to investigate.

Tshwane Utility Services MMC Frans Boshielo confirmed the details of the recovery and said the matter would be handled in line with municipal safety protocols:

“It’s confirmed that a dead person was found inside the Minisub 1656L. On Monday, the electricity team responded to a block power outage and found a deceased individual inside the LV side of Mini substation.”

The “LV side” refers to the low-voltage section of the substation, which distributes power to residential and commercial consumers. Mini substations such as this form part of the last step of the distribution chain and are typically secured to prevent public access, with responsibility resting on the municipality as licensed distributor under national energy regulations.

Witness Accounts

Residents in the immediate vicinity reported that the area had been without electricity for several days prior to the discovery, a pattern that has fuelled frustration and, at times, risky attempts to bypass formal supply. Juma Saidi, 40, who operates a fatcake business adjacent to the substation, expressed shock at the scene.

“He was very dark. We don’t know when he entered inside. We didn’t have electricity for a few days in the area. Seriously, I don’t understand why there was a man inside there. The only people who should open the box are the municipality officials,” Saidi said.

Saidi described the condition of the body as severely burnt, adding, “It was scary to see a man in such a condition. I’m still shocked even today.”

According to Saidi, the deceased was believed to be a resident of Soshanguve, though his specific address was unknown. Community members gathered at the cordoned-off site, with several calling for tighter security around electrical infrastructure and faster municipal response when faults are reported.

Emergency and Police Response

Upon arriving at the scene, technicians found an African male trapped inside the electric box and unconscious. The following sequence of events occurred:

  • Tshwane Emergency Medical Services arrived to certify the death.
  • The South African Police Service (SAPS) and pathology services took charge of the scene.
  • Government mortuary personnel transported the body to the Ga-Rankuwa Government mortuary.
  • Authorities contacted the family of the deceased.

Tshwane district police spokesman Captain Johan van Dyk confirmed that an inquest docket has been opened to determine the exact cause and circumstances of the death. An inquest, conducted under South Africa’s judicial framework for unexplained or suspicious deaths, allows investigators and the courts to examine whether criminal conduct, negligence or systemic failures – including in municipal operations – contributed to the incident.

City officials said the affected infrastructure would remain offline until it has been made safe, inspected and re-energised in line with statutory procedures for restoring supply after a fatal incident. Residents have been urged to report exposed cables, open substations or suspected illegal connections to municipal hotlines and to avoid any attempt to restore power themselves.

You may also like

Leave a Comment