Home WorldGlobal Maritime Security and Oil Market Turmoil Amid Iran’s Strait of Hormuz Closure

Global Maritime Security and Oil Market Turmoil Amid Iran’s Strait of Hormuz Closure

by Claire Donovan

LONDON –
Britain and its allies weighed maritime security options on Monday after Iran’s closure of the Strait of Hormuz sent global oil prices soaring 40 percent and ignited a standoff stretching from the Gulf to East Asia. The UK Ministry of Defence was non-committal, saying: “As we’ve said previously, we are currently discussing with our allies and partners a range of options to ensure the security of shipping in the region,” it said. Britain’s minister for energy security, Ed Miliband, told the BBC the “plan now has to be to de-escalate the conflict… We are talking to our allies. There are different ways in which we can make maritime shipping possible.”

The stakes are international and immediate. The Strait of Hormuz is a strategic artery through which an average of 20.9 million barrels per day moved in 2023-roughly one-fifth of global petroleum liquids consumption and more than one-quarter of seaborne oil trade, with the vast majority of flows bound for Asia’s major economies. Very few alternatives exist if the strait is halted, underscoring why decisions taken in London, Washington, Tokyo and Seoul are reverberating through energy markets and supply chains.

Capitals calibrate as rhetoric hardens

Governments across Asia moved cautiously as oil benchmarks spiked and shipping firms began rerouting or pausing sailings. South Korea said it was “closely monitoring President Trump’s remarks on social media,” while in Tokyo, Takayuki Kobayashi, policy chief for Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s ruling party, said the bar for dispatching Japanese naval vessels under current law is “extremely high.”

In a weekend interview with NBC News, President Donald Trump said he believed Tehran wanted talks but vowed to keep pressing for “better terms.” He also suggested he might again bomb targets on Iran’s oil hub, Kharg Island, “just for fun,” and added: “Iran wants to make a deal, and I don’t want to make it because the terms aren’t good enough yet.” The comments unsettled regional diplomats already concerned that loose rhetoric on all sides is narrowing room for de‑escalation.

Iran’s new supreme leader, Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, has vowed in a written statement to keep Hormuz closed, framing it as a response to what Tehran calls “unlawful aggression” against its territory. Trump dismissed that claim and questioned his adversary’s authority, saying: “I don’t know if he’s even alive. So far, nobody has been able to show him.” Tehran responded on Saturday that “there is no problem with the new supreme leader,” despite his continued absence from public view, a vacuum that has added uncertainty to assessments in Western capitals of who ultimately controls escalation decisions in Tehran.

Maritime law and the limits of closure

Allied lawyers and defence officials are working from a clear legal starting point: under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, straits used for international navigation are governed by “transit passage,” which guarantees all ships and aircraft a right of continuous and expeditious passage that “shall not be impeded.” While coastal states may adopt certain regulations for safety and environmental reasons, the convention sharply limits their ability to suspend passage in straits such as Hormuz-a point that frames current allied deliberations over convoying, interdiction and rules of engagement.

Officials in London and Washington say privately that any move to reopen the chokepoint by force would have to be justified not only under this legal regime but also under their domestic rules for the use of force, including proportionality and the requirement to minimize harm to civilian shipping. For now, diplomats are stressing that the priority is to use legal and economic pressure to challenge Iran’s claim to a sustained closure while keeping military options in reserve.

Energy shock ripples across markets

Kharg Island-through which nearly all Iranian crude exports have historically been shipped-sits at the heart of the energy calculus, both as an operational hub and a symbol of Tehran’s leverage over global supply. Its capacity and centrality to Iran’s export system have long made it a critical vulnerability in crisis scenarios, and its mention by Trump has heightened market anxiety over potential strikes on energy infrastructure.

Even with limited bypass routes-most notably Saudi Arabia’s East-West pipeline to the Red Sea and the UAE’s link to Fujairah on the Gulf of Oman-effective spare capacity to circumvent Hormuz covers only a fraction of normal flows. Asian markets are most exposed: in 2023, 83 percent of crude and condensate transiting the strait went to Asia, led by China, India, Japan and South Korea. Traders and central banks in those economies are now weighing the risk of a sustained supply shock against already fragile post‑pandemic growth.

Global insurers and shippers, meanwhile, are navigating rapidly evolving war‑risk assessments. The London market’s Joint War Committee maintains a list of “areas of perceived enhanced risk”-including the Persian/Arabian Gulf and adjacent waters-that underpins the imposition of additional war‑risk premiums and operational restrictions by clubs and underwriters when threat levels rise. Higher premiums, routed via shipowners and charterers, are already feeding through into freight rates and, ultimately, consumer prices.

London, Tokyo and Seoul weigh constraints

In London, operational choices sit within the UK’s constitutional framework: deploying armed forces is a prerogative power exercised by ministers, and although governments often seek a Commons debate, there is no legal requirement to obtain prior parliamentary approval before committing forces. That convention has evolved unevenly over the past decade and is not legally binding, a reality shaping the pace and manner of any maritime contribution as the government balances alliance expectations with domestic political scrutiny over another Gulf deployment.

Japan’s calculus is shaped by Article 9 of its Constitution and the 2015 Legislation for Peace and Security. Government guidance continues to interpret the Constitution as not permitting overseas deployment of armed troops for the purpose of using force, except in narrowly defined “survival‑threatening situations” that meet stringent criteria. Any decision to dispatch Maritime Self‑Defense Force assets to a conflict zone is therefore subject to high legal and political thresholds, including Diet approval and public sensitivity to any operation that appears to edge beyond a strictly defensive posture.

South Korea, heavily dependent on Middle Eastern crude, faces its own trade‑security dilemma: whether to join any US‑ or UK‑led escort arrangement and risk retaliation from Iran, or to rely on diplomatic channels and diversification of supplies. Officials in Seoul say the government is coordinating closely with energy companies and allied navies but remains wary of being drawn into a broader confrontation.

Military exchanges and regional spillover

The Hormuz shutdown is already intersecting with wider regional flashpoints. The Israeli military announced a wave of strikes against targets in western Iran after the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps branded Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a criminal and vowed to pursue and kill him. Washington has urged American citizens to leave Iraq as pro‑Iranian armed groups launched attacks on the US embassy and bases hosting Western forces, raising fears that proxy clashes could complicate any eventual attempt to negotiate maritime de‑confliction in the Gulf.

“The plan now has to be to de‑escalate the conflict… We are talking to our allies. There are different ways in which we can make maritime shipping possible.”

Echoes of the Tanker War

The current crisis recalls the 1980s “Tanker War,” when Iran and Iraq targeted oil shipping and the United States reflagged and escorted Kuwaiti tankers under Operation Earnest Will. The 1988 US-Iran clash known as Operation Praying Mantis-America’s largest surface naval engagement since World War II-demonstrated how quickly Gulf escalations at sea can widen once military assets are committed. Those precedents loom over allied discussions about convoys, minesweeping, air cover and escalation control today, informing contingency planning but also reinforcing political reluctance to move too fast.

On Monday in Tehran, despite hardened public statements on all sides, residents reported the most normal weekday atmosphere since the war began on February 28, with cafes reopening and commuters returning to routines. The contrast between a relatively calm capital and a sealed global chokepoint highlights how much of the crisis is playing out in conference rooms, war‑risk committees and cabinet meetings rather than on visible front lines-for now.

  • UK Ministry of Defence: “discussing with our allies and partners a range of options.”
  • UK Energy Security Minister Ed Miliband: “plan now has to be to de‑escalate the conflict… different ways in which we can make maritime shipping possible.”
  • South Korea: “closely monitoring President Trump’s remarks on social media.”
  • Japan’s ruling party policy chief: legal bar for dispatching navy ships is “extremely high.”
  • Iran: vow to keep Hormuz closed; asserts “there is no problem with the new supreme leader.”

As of March 16, 2026, Iran says the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed, the UK Ministry of Defence says allied consultations are ongoing, and the United States is urging its citizens to leave Iraq, as governments weigh how far they are prepared to go to keep one of the world’s most sensitive sea lanes open.

You may also like

Leave a Comment